….. a pretty great year! There were a lot of firsts for me and a lot of interesting milestones and happenings. This was the year that:
- I sold my first book! This is definitely top of the list of exciting things. The road to traditional publication is something I’ve been dreaming about for the last almost four years, and really my whole life in abstract, so to have made it to the starting line is monumental in my book. I’m so grateful to everyone who has supported me along the way. 2016 is now the year I get to say “my book comes out next year!”
- I sent my baby to kindergarten. Everyday I’m amazed at how fast she’s learning and growing up.
- I took on more responsibility in my day job. Some of it has involved defending for things I believe in, occasionally loudly, which really isn’t in my nature, so I’m proud of myself for being able to speak up.
- I got to meet my lovely agent in person, which was completely delightful. I’m blessed to have such a caring advocate in my corner.
- I went to New York 4 times, in three different seasons. It remains one of my favorite places in the whole world.
- I started listening to audiobooks. It seems small but having a little bit of time to myself on my commute to add in “bonus” books has been really fun.
- I joined RWA and my local chapter, WRW. Both organizations have been helpful and also rejuvenating. I look forward to their newsletters in my inbox and to attending monthly meetings to learn about craft. Plus, the fellowship is excellent.
- I completed a new book, start to finish, that is shiny and fun and I love it. I hope it gets it’s chance to go out into the world.
- I entered said book in a handful of contests (and finaled in one!) and have found the kind feedback of experienced authors to be very enlightening.
- I won NaNoWriMo for the fourth time. That book hasn’t been touched since Nov. 30, but I plan to finish it up soon.
- I generated a number of new ideas and plan to try something totally new for me with my next project, which is exciting and scary.
- I read 61 new books. That’s half my total from the previous year, but it makes sense, given everything else that’s been going on with my time. I’ll aim for a similar number for 2016.
- I made new and continued ongoing friendships with wonderful writing community friends. This is most definitely not a solitary endeavor and I love having so many hands to hold as we walk along this road together.
2016 is going to be full of even more accomplishments and surprises and gifts. Cheers to a new year and thank you to everyone who made 2015 amazing!