I’m working my way through Ready, Set Write! this summer 🙂
In depressing news, it’s now August and my simmer officially implodes in 3 weeks. So sad.
Week 8 Update:
1. How I did on last week’s goals: My only goal last week was to FINISH THE BOOK! Which, thankfully, I did 🙂 Thursday I typed THE END on my contemporary dual POV YA novel LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS and was so mentally exhausted afterwards, I flopped down on the couch and watched a few hours of truly embarrassing reality TV. As one does.
Last week I mentioned I was going to try and branch out into writing WF, so I also typed up 2 fake query letters for ideas to send to my agent at some point. The one keeps swirling and I plotted a little, picked out a few names, researched location, so that may be the keeper.
I also made is through the first week of the 21 Day Fix!
2. My goal(s) for this week: Start revisions on WIP. I am historically a terrible reviser. I’m really good at compartmentalizing and emotionally packing things away when they’re done, so going back and changing things is really difficult for me. My brain keeps saying “But this is how it happened. It’s already over. ” I am grateful for my CPs and betas who can show me otherwise.
I also want play with a first chapter for one of my WF ideas, which I am lovingly calling the Dead Ex-Boyfriend Book, at the moment.
And *grumble grumble* I need to face the reality of recommendation letters. I haven’t even looked at my materials to start writing them, so I should perhaps think about changing that. A low bar – 3 letters done this week.
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.
Her white dress hugs her curves in all the right places and stops at her knee, showing off the legs I’ve been admiring for months. Her shit-kicker heels make her almost my height and I wonder how she can walk in them, but I’m glad, more than glad, she’s wearing them. They’re shiny and red and I hope she never takes them off. I move my eyes from her feet all the way up past the little white blazer to the top of her head. Her long hair is down and falls around her shoulders and right on top, like a cherry on a sundae, is a sparkly princess crown. I laugh to myself. Phoebe looks exactly like a dominatrix’s sweeter sister. Just as deadly, but she’ll kick your ass with a smile on her face.
And she is smiling at me.
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): Actually getting through the end scenes I’ve had in my head for months was more of a challenge than I imagined. I will miss these characters!
5. Something I love about my WiP: It makes me laugh and makes me cry.
How did YOU do?