I’m working my way through Ready, Set Write! this summer 🙂
Week 6 Update:
1. How I did on last week’s goals: Derailed! I got sick Monday night and it took the entire week to recover. I managed to get about 2500 words, thankfully, and I’m pleased about that, but no gym, no 7 min workout, and no letter prepping.
2. My goal(s) for this week: We’re taking our little one on a surprise trip to NYC for her 5th birthday M-W, so my time is limited this week. I’ll shoot low and say 1000 words and 2 trips to the gym. My BIG goal is to have my draft done by next Thursday 7/23 but I’ll have to bust my booty next week to make that happen. I’m thinking I’m about 15K away. I’ve also rationalized that I can start my letter writing the last week of July and still finish on time, so that’s a relief.
3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.
In a flash, before I realize what he’s doing, Theo is standing on top of the hardwood seat on his side of the booth. “Can I have everyone’s attention for a second?” Oh god. I want to slide to the floor. This is not what I had in mind. I squint up at him, his arms stretched out not unlike when he’s doing a magic show. “I just want to take a moment of your time and let everyone present know that I like Phoebe Lennox.” He puts heavy emphasis on the like so there is no way to misunderstand what he means. “We’re here on our first date tonight and it’s going swimmingly.” Our waiter whoops from the front of the room and a few diners, the ones who aren’t totally confused or annoyed, start clapping. “Just thought you all should know. Hope your evening is as great as ours.” He gives a half-wave, half-salute to the room, steps onto the floor and sits back down just as some clever patron begins clinking their knife on their water glass. The sound gets louder as my cheeks get redder. Theo’s brow furrows. “Why are they doing that?”
I barely choke my words out. “It’s what you do at weddings when you want the bride and groom to kiss.”
“Oh.” Still squinting because I can’t bare to look at him fully or I might combust, I watch Theo slide out of the booth again, stand in front of my side and offer me a hand. “We can’t disappoint our audience, now can we?”
4. The biggest challenge I faced this week (ex. finding time to write): Sick sick sick. It’s hard to be productive when you can’t keep your eyes open. It’s annoying to have lost so many days but I did my best.
5. Something I love about my WiP: Did I mention there was kissing this week? I always have a romantic element to my books, some much stronger than others, but I tend to save the kissing for the very end for some reason. THIS book has kissing earlier and I’m so glad, even though I know conflict is coming and soon.
How did YOU do?
9 thoughts on “RSW Week 6”
Oh my gosh, that excerpt is cute, cute, cute! If I’d read this in a bookstore or library, this story would totally be coming home with me. Have so much fun in NYC this week, and best of luck squeezing in some writing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love that excerpt, it’s so sweet and funny! I feel so sorry for Phoebe… but not enough that I didn’t want to read more. :p
I’m sorry you were ill, but it sounds like you still made some really good progress despite it–and don’t blame you at all for not wanting to exercise! Good luck with your goals this week, and I hope your l’il one loves her trip!
The excerpt is so fun! And sorry you’re not feeling well. That does kill any motivation and goals. Have fun this next week and feel better!
Ahhhh! I love that scene! <3<3<3! Kissing scenes are my favorite to read and my favorite to write. Sorry you've been so sick lately, that is never fun, but I hope you're feeling better for your NYC trip and that you are able to get back on the horse this week and kick butt on your goals! 🙂
Excellent excerpt! So sweet. 🙂 Have a blast on your trip this week. I think that getting 2500 words in during a week that you were sick is phenomenal! Have a great week!
I love your excerpt, although I was blushing for poor Phoebe. I’d love to know what happens next.
Sorry to hear you have been sick, I always think it’s even worse to be sick in summer.
We took our 6 year old to NYC for his birthday, in June, we had an amazing time. I hope you do too. The One World Trade Centre, Central Park and the M&M shops (Star Wars M&M’s!) were his favourites.
I’m so sorry you’re feeling icky. I got attacked by the snot-monster this week, too, and it derailed my plans.
You do the kissing very well- I always enjoy the romance elements to your stories. 🙂
Have fun and be safe in NYC!
That was super cute. The clip not the being sick part, that sucks. Glad you’re feeling better. Hey if you got anything done while being sick that’s a huge score. Most of the time when I’m sick doing anything but moving from the bed to the couch is like pushing a semi up a mountain with the breaks on. Good luck this week!
The trip to NYC sounds like a blast! I’m super jealous. And kissing scenes are the best. Glad you’re feeling better, being sick, especially during the summer, is the worst!